Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Amazing Wedding Party

Bridal Party:
Parents of the Bride:
            Chris and Warren Riggers were married August 26, 1972, in East Wenatchee, Washington. Across their almost-40 year marriage, they have lived in Spokane and Renton, Washington, and Scottsdale, Arizona, where they currently reside.
             From my parents, I learned the value of hugs and kisses in a family, and how important it was to be able to laugh at life and at yourself. My parents have given me a great example for marriage, showing me how to be engaged in each other's interests and how to enjoy shared interests as well. They have also been great parents and my biggest fans from the days of elementary school orchestra and high school volleyball through my decision to pursue a PhD. I am encouraged by their faithful and unconditional support and encouragement of me over the years.
Matrons of Honor:
Karen Fergason
       Karen and I met in 2001, and little did we know how the Lord would bring us together as friends and co-laborers! Across the years, she has been a mentor, friend, ministry partner and sister to me. I am grateful for her wisdom, humility, and friendship, which has evidenced itself in her willingness to let me be a surrogate aunt to her six children, three of whom are in our wedding ceremony, her faithful prayers for my future as a wife and mother, and her unwavering committment to watching the long version of Pride and Prejudice whenever we have time to do so.
She and her husband, John, their children, and her parents, Nick and Dorothy, are like family to me, and have acted as family when I lived far from my own. For her frienship, and the love of all her family, I am eternally grateful. Karen and her family reside in San Antonio, Texas.
Candice Bullard
        Candice and I met in 2006, as we began the Student Affairs program at Baylor University. We became study buddies, and then close friends and were blessed to support each other through the difficulties of doing life while in a graduate program. Our friendship was cemented first on the day I returned from a mission trip to Kenya, to find Candice's note on my door which read, "I will pick you up at 9:30 for class." and later, our star-turn as the morning show hosts of "Wake-up With Candice and Tiffani" for a class project.
         We have laughed, cried, and prayed together, and our friendship continues to increase in value and in depth. I appreciate her frank and honest approach to communication, her sense of humor, and her adventurous but thoughtful way of approaching life. I am encouraged by her deep love for her husband, and his for her, and the way that they compliment each other. I have admired many aspects of their marriage for years, and am amazed to see how God provided me with someone who shares so many of Collin's characteristics and how Curby's servant heart and gracious nature are going to lead us to a marriage equally as strong as theirs. Candice and Collin recently welcomed their first child, Asher Henry, and currently reside in Cambridge, England.
Bridesmaids:
Barbara Voigt-Martin
           Barbara is my oldest friend. We met in 1988, at McKnight Middle School. Since those days, we have been locker partners, mischief making partners, classmates, college roommates, and most importantly, friends. Barb is one of the few people that knows my whole history, and so when she asks a question about my life, I take it seriously, as it is often asked with thoughtful knowledge of my context. She has been a faithful Christian example in my life, from even before I was a Christian, and has always managed to speak her perspectives and opinions clearly and without judgement while encouraging me to reconsider my own previously held positions. I also loved watching her relationship with her husband, Rob, grow and develop, and have great memories of times the three of us spent together! I am so grateful for her consistent friendship and faithful, confident prayers that God would provide me with a husband. Barb is married to Rob Martin, and are parents to an adorable toddler named Liam. Barbara and her family reside in Ballard, Washington.
Laura Peterson
           Laura and I became friends when her husband became one of the football coaches at Greenville College. After meeting once very briefly, Laura and her husband, Andy, came to Greenville to look for a place to live - I showed them around the house I had been living (and was moving out of) and they came to my 30th birthday party! I could tell that Laura and I would be friends instantly, a feeling that was confirmed when I learned about her good communication skills and the value that she placed on frienship. Later, we would spend a lot of time sitting together in the football stands and hanging out on Sundays with Andy and a bowl of popcorn, watching MXC marathons.
           We have laughed and cried together, and through the years, she has been my cheerleader and a consistent companion (spiritually if not physically) - she was always thinking of me and on the lookout for my future husband. I have enjoyed our phone conversations over the years and am always amazed to find that an hour has passed as we discussed spiritual and life issues, and prayed together. Laura and Andy have a toddler named, Hope, who I expect will marry Liam Martin someday. (This wedding is actually an elaborate blind date.) The Petersons live in Watertown, Wisconsin.
Sarah Martin-Werntz
          Sarah and I used to say we met on match.com -and that is sort of true. We were both looking for graduate  housing at Baylor and we had to fill out a roommate questionnaire which was then exchanged with the other person. Individually, we would both say how surprised we were at the similarities of our answers and so we decided to become roommates. The two years we lived together were so instructive for me - Sarah is a great communicator and committed to living a thoughtful and caring life that has social justice at its core. I was blessed to watch her relationship with her husband, Myles, develop and bear fruit, and have so enjoyed being a part of their life together. Sarah is a stalwart friend who can be relied upon to serve without complaining and to always help you keep in mind the plight of the "other" - for both of these characteristics and what they have taught me, I am grateful. She is also a great friend to play games and laugh with and we have shared a bunch of great times together. Sarah and her husband, Myles Werntz celebrated their 2nd anniversary in June and reside in Waco, Texas.
Jessica Roberts
           Jessica's friendship was a divine appointment. I met her at church, while asking how to volunteer in the childern's ministry. It turned out that she was Coordinator of Children's Ministry and not only that, but she had lived in Washington, loved to cook, and had a small group that was open to new members. She always comes up with fun ideas and activities, including cooking classes, outdoor movies, and awards ceremony parties, and we always have fun together. During my time at UCLA, she has been a consistent encouragment to me and a constant friend. I'm so grateful the Lord directed my steps that Sunday morning.  Jessica and her husband, Ryan, live two blocks away from me, in Los Angeles, California.
Andilin Fergason (jr. bridesmaid)
          Andi is Karen's eldest daughter. I have known her since she was just six months old and have been blessed to see her grow into a thoughtful and kind young girl. She was the first of the Fergason children that I nicknamed - after repeatedly asking for "more peaches," I named her "Peaches" and she has been thus ever since to me. We have enjoyed many fun times together, including playing dress up, jumping on the trampoline, reading stories, and learning about Jesus. I had long expected her to be my flower girl, but found that by the time I got around to be a bride, she had grown up - so I am overjoyed to have her join the party as a Junior Bridesmaid. Andi is an avid horsewoman, who hopes to become an animal trainer when she grows up.


Groom's Party:
Parents of the Groom: 
           Curby's parents Milton and Andie Piehl went on a blind date in December of 1974.  Three weeks later they were married, and have been married for almost 37 years.  Pretty cool, huh?  They've taught Curby grace, patience, how to love, how to pray, and how to think.  He thinks they are pretty darn amazing. Milton and Andie live in Fort Worth, Texas, where they spend their spare time doting on their grandchildren. 
Best Men:
Mark Cummings
           Curby met Mark when he was 17 and Mark 23. Mark started working at the same book store as Curby and on his first day there asked if Curby was a fan of Progressive music. Curby got confused and was thinking Mark meant Curby's beloved Alternative music, so he answered "yes" to the question. This happy accident led to finding they had much more in common than they thought, and have been best friends ever since! Mark is responsible for Curby falling in love with California and currently lives with his wife Mandy in Costa Mesa CA. If you need a fancy picture painted, Mark's you man!
Samuel Thomas
        Sam and Curby met through Mark, when Sam moved in with him. At the time, Sam had amazing curly hair and was trying to get an independent music zine off the ground. (Ah, the 90s).  Samuel has always been the best listener and best adviser of any of Curby's friends, giving the best advice Curby's ever gotten: "Don't Settle". Curby is very very glad he took that advice. Samuel lives with his wife and three kids in Texas and is building a very successful video production biz.

Groomsmen:
Stephen Hammond
        Stephen is a lot like Jesus... he's always good for an adventure. Curby has never regretted saying yes to Stephen. What boldness there is in Curby he learned from this man.  Stephen lives in Arlington TX with his wife and three kids, and is still pastor of Mosaic Arlington, Curby's old church.
Mark Gifford 
         Mark is Curby's current room-mate and plays a very mild mannered Felix to Curby's Oscar. A good friend and dependable, GiFF can usually be found doing kettle bells or getting Curby addicted to some new Fox reality tv show.
Roger Balko 
         One of the best listeners Curby knows, Roger and Curby met through Mark Cummings (a common theme) and have spent many hours talking about life and girls over Korean food or a hookah pipe.  Roger brings joy and blessing wherever he goes, which is currently in Atlanta, GA.
Nathan Futrell 
          Curby met Nathan when Nathan and his wife moved to Arlington to serve as worship leader at Mosaic.  Nathan is responsible for Curby's proficiency in lolspeak... He is also a phenomenal musician, great counsellor, and wise friend.  He lives with Elaine and future baby Futrell in Arlington,  TX

No comments: